Security Council Meets Over Killing of 2 U.N. Experts in Congo

Their deaths raised questions about the United Nations and its work in dangerous parts of the world. Almost two months passed before it assembled a panel to look into what had gone wrong.

The Security Council may order a more formal investigation, but it has yet to take concrete steps in that direction.

The meeting on Tuesday was convened to update the Council on investigations into the deaths, including those conducted by the Congolese authorities, according to Stéphane Dujarric, a spokesman for the United Nations secretary general. Congolese officials said on Sunday that they had completed their investigation of the killings and that two suspects in the case would soon face trial, though no date was given.

Photo

Zaida Catalán, a United Nations expert who was killed in March in Congo.

Credit
Bertil Ericson/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

The New York Times reported recently that Ms. Catalán had been looking into whether Mr. Kanku played a role in inciting violence last year in the Kasai region.

Congo’s attorney general, Flory Numbi, told reporters on Tuesday that he had requested permission from the National Assembly to conduct preliminary searches of Mr. Kanku’s property. Parliament’s permission is required because Mr. Kanku is a member, and lawmakers are generally immune from prosecution.

Mr. Kanku, who was dismissed this month as minister of development, has close links to the militia fighters in the Kasai area. It is widely believed that he was brought into President Joseph Kabila’s coalition government last year specifically to bring the rebels to heel.

Ms. Catalán kept more than 100 files in a folder on her computer under Mr. Kanku’s name. Among them was a recording of a telephone conversation that Mr. Kanku apparently had…

Read the full article from the Source…

Back to Top